Thursday, February 21, 2013

Eight Weeks

Eight weeks. Two months. About the length of time a male (yes, male) emu sits on his nest of eggs.

This blog has been my incubator of ideas on philanthropy and I committed at the outset to eight weeks of quiet reflection. This is week #8.

This post will not be the birth announcement of the brilliant, revolutionary, new project I have nurtured into fully being over the past eight weeks. That's ok. That was never the point. I'm not an emu after all.

I started this blog because I was craving thinking space. I turned 40 this year—and though I haven't yet felt a need to own a red convertible, I have felt myself ruminating on the impact I want to have in the next 40 years. I also had the great fortune to host a college intern this past summer and she got me thinking about why I am so passionate about my work and philanthropy. Toss in attending some amazing, thought-provoking conferences and voila a blog is born.

I've purposely approached each week as simply a chance to think. I've challenged myself not to look too far beyond the eight weeks, to not set up expectations of what this leads to, but rather to just be on the journey. (That, in and of itself, has been a real test and success of this little project for a goal-oriented, Type A-er like me).

But, here I am at week 8. And, I'm not sure what's next for philanthropos tropos.

I am certain about several things:
  • I've benefited from the thinking space. Just having a little room to step back and see the really big picture is making me a better day-to-day fundraiser. I wish every Development professional could find a way to build into their usual work life some deep thinking space. Understanding your own feelings about giving is paramount to a long and successful career.
  • Expressing your deep, philosophical thoughts in writing is hard. Doing it concisely is even harder. I think I've become a better writer in the last eight weeks-- a good reminder that we get better at what we do.
  • I value most of all the conversations I've had with many of you. Whether in person or via email, you have responded with your own answers, questions, or thoughts. You’ve made me think harder and deeper. I like that. Thank you.
  • I will never understand how to get my posts to single space or make my photos bigger on Blogspot. It's clear that I'll leave the artistry and graphic design realms to others in my family.
  • As a society, we are still at the early stages of really understanding philanthropy – what truly motivates it, how to grow it, and how to ensure it has real impacts. When we figure all that out, we will change the world.
  • I love fundraising. I love making the match between donor and mission. I love saying thank you and meaning it. I love doing something that makes a difference.
For all of these reasons, this has been a really great eight weeks. The question I'm pondering is whether I should post something next week.

You all are my crew – my carefully selected, trusted group of colleagues, experts, friends, and family. I'm hoping you'll help me. Is it time to stop pondering and ruminating and find a way to get more involved – join a board, volunteer with AFP, start a fundraising support group in the Methow, test one of my ideas in a local classroom, etc.? Or, if I still think I have topics to grapple with, should I keep posting and writing, even if no one follows? I'd really value your honest thoughts, so if you don't want to publicly post here, please send me an email (sarahbrooks72@gmail.com) or call me.

Thanks for reading along each week and may the fire and optimism, hope and blind faith of philanthropos tropos stay ignited in you!

2 comments:

  1. Good writing--clear, concise, compelling--is scarce. Your blogging demonstrates that you know how to do it. I think we need you to keep going. Joining another board isn't a substitute for what you have been doing these eight weeks. Keeping in touch with that fourth grade class, helping them to understand and appreciate giving, might be one of the things that keeps your thinking and writing moving. Take close looks at all that you have written. I expect the outline, even some of the pages, of a good book are in them. You have perspectives that are different and worthwhile. They way to make them take wing, to make them public, is to write them. -- JKR

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah - keep posting, keep ruminating, keep stretching our minds, hearts, story-books. I have really enjoyed reading these wonderful blogs, and don't want them to end. Keep it going if you can! All the best... Deb Crespin

    ReplyDelete